Tuesday, August 17, 2010

School vs work

school or work
3 years study or 4 years study
honours or not honours
applying for internship or applying for intern+job


I don't think you all have come across with this thinking or consideration 
since most of you have no options for it
since most of you will absolutely do four year studies (direct honours)


But I do need to think of it

Of course, sooner or later, you will graduate and you will start the working life...

Should I stay? Being a cheerful undergrad student, participating in CCAs, studying for modules, doing what we want, having a mid-term break and summer break and long holiday
or starting to look for job, being prepared of working life....hmmm....

Sometimes I don't like to make a choice
I don't even know what do I want actually
I'm scared to regret at the end
I'm scared of making a wrong decision
especially with regards to once in your life decision
but I need to decide soon

How 'bout you?
Have you ever make a big choice in your life?

5 comments:

meanwhatyousay said...

well, fen, to think about it, I don't think this is such a big choice in life you know.. it's only 1 year difference right?
(I also sort of "threw away" 1 year of my life in Malaysia, but I didn't regret it.. )

The question actually lies with you.. Do you think that studying for 1 more year is a waste of time?
If it is, then no need to do honours =)

Remember, we only live our life once.. So try to enjoy it as much as possible.. if you think you'll enjoy more by working then go ahead.. =)

And even more important, NEVER regret once you reach your decision. It is a waste of energy and time, and it won't make you happy and
IT won't change anything.. =)

For me, I'll ask those who matters to me, like God, parents, friends. What do they want me to do and why.. Take that into consideration, and you'll have more point of view about this thing.. =) jz consider but ultimately, the decision is in your hand and don't regret it! =)

meanwhatyousay said...

Some quotes for you fen... =)

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

One thing is sure. We have to do something. We have to do the best we know how at the moment... if it doesn't turn out right, we can modify it as we go along.

hope it helps.. =)

William said...

Study,

1. Honours looks better than without honours

2. Once you start working it wouldn't be as fun as school anymore so if you have to choice to enjoy one more year why not?

3. another year meaning next holiday you can apply for another internship to strengthen your resume. although I remember hans said you worked in PWC forensic department which is uber good already. but yeah, still can even strengthen it.

4. Another year to look for the CCAs you want to pursue as a passion, not as a need for CCA points.

5. FYP is another level of experience, by doing FYP you have better insight of what you can learn on own in relation to your major and you can talk about it during your job interview.

===
it doesn't matter the decision you made is gonna make you regret or not. If it does, so be it, life goes on and it's a learning point to take note of.

I also believe, everyone made a big decision by coming to NUS and choosing their majors *which i kinda regretted*; quitting Bizcom exco position and prioritizing my RA work was a big decision for me; my first job will be another big decision.
So fennita? are you ready for your decision?

Unknown said...

Chris, actually I do not think that taking honours is a waste of time. My consideration is not placed in the one year difference. I'm thinking whether honours is better for me or not. Parents support me to do honours though. It's hard to explain my feeling.

I dunno why so many accounting student choose to do 3 years study, even for those are able to take honours, lots of them have this dilemma.

Winong, that's why...I'm doing what I want or I like now, not for the shake of CCA points. But if I'm taking honours, it could be different story.

Anyway, I do really appreciate your guys advice,suggestion, and thoughts.

meanwhatyousay said...

haha3.. it's reverse psychology!! I actually want you to take honours.. =) for selfish reason.. haha3.. n I think it's better for you as well.. You can take and consider winong's advice though.. he's gone through it.. =)
Don't be persuaded by your friend, I think.. =)
yay!